The National Association of Women’s Organizations in Uganda (NAWOU) is a registered umbrella organization of women based organisations in Uganda promoting the rights of women and girls through evidence-based advocacy & networking; research & documentation; capacity building and partnerships to contribute to women’s political, socio-cultural and economic development. NAWOU boasts of being the most grounded women’s organization given its countrywide membership scope.
NAWOU’s work mainly focuses on strengthening women’s economic independence, peace and security, enhancing women’s participation in leadership and decision making as well as building women and girl’s agency to defend their rights.
NAWOU’s membership is in two categories i.e. FBOS & NGOs and District Networks
The membership registration process involves;
- Submitting an application expressing interest to join NAWOU membership
- Once the application is approved by Secretariat, then
- Fill-in the NAWOU membership registration form
- Fill-in the Membership Profile Form
- Return/send the registration form with; A Copy of your organization’s constitution or any other supporting documents to email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are a membership Organisation, please indicate the number of members in your organisation
- Pay Membership fees of 200,000/= If the organisation is FBO & NGO.
- For District Women’s Networks, membership is based on the number of CBOs within the network i.e. constitutionally a network must have at least 8 CBOs to register with NAWOU. Fees is as follows
At least 8 CBOs pay: UGX 200,000/=
More than 8 CBOs but less than 16 pays: UGX 300,000/=
More than 16 CBOs & above pays: UGX 400,000/=
- Then a membership Certificate is issued by Secretariat
For a CBO to join a NAWOU District Network, It must be;
- Registered with district local government
- It must be women based CBO with activities contributing to community development
- Must have 30 members and above
- Must pay membership fees to the NAWOU district membership structure
Membership funds can be paid in cash at NAWOU office or through bank on
Banking details for Annual Subscription Fees:
Account Name: NAWOU-AJWSP Recovery Account
Account Number: 02040340021
Bank Name: Bank of Africa
Currency: Uganda Shillings
One has to belong to an active group creating and producing products like baskets and crafts. To receive further training, the group can contact NAWOU through the various social media sites, call on the official numbers or get in touch with district networks that are operational for reference
Donate with a cause
Addresses the underlying gender hierarchies and their relevance for shaping societal practices that propagate discrimination of women and girls.